Since 1947, we have awarded over 1,000 scholarships to those working in the food, farming, horticulture and rural industries. Our Scholars travel across the globe to learn from leading experts and farmers before bringing their knowledge back to the UK to share at home. With study topics ranging from hill farming to global trading markets (and everything in between), Nuffield Farming Scholars all share passion for what they do, a desire to do things better and a head full of questions…
Get acquainted with our most recent Scholars and their study topics by clicking below…
- I grew up in South West Scotland and come from a non agricultural background. After spells working in the USA and the Middle East I returned home.
- Always rooted in agriculture, I grew up in South Dorset milking cows and grain carting. After studying a business degree at Loughborough University, I trained as an agronomist and took up various technical and commercial roles within agriculture.
- I am passionate and optimistic about the future of UK agriculture. After studying Agriculture at Harper Adams University College, I was selected for the Co-operative Farms Management Trainee Scheme, which gave me a great insight into large scale arable farming. Since 2014,
- I grew up on our family farming estate near York and we have farmed here for over 30 years. The estate comprises of Poultry, Dairy and Arable enterprises, which are across 1200 acres. In addition, we have biomass,
- I wasn’t born into a farming family, but I was lucky enough to be surrounded by a community willing to offer me copious amounts of experience.
- Growing up on a diverse farm in Yorkshire, sparked my interest in farm business management that led to a farm advisory career. Since having a family I have moved into a commercial role,
- I am a third generation farmer from coastal North Yorkshire growing a diverse range of cash crops, specialising in potatoes. In the time I have been working on the family farm
- I live and work at Whittern Farms Ltd in North Herefordshire, managing a diverse portfolio of enterprises including horticulture,
- I grew up in Indiana, USA, on a small family horse farm and feel very lucky to now live in Wiltshire. As a non-farmer who loves farming, I am passionate about sharing the incredible stories of British farming with the wider population.
- After studying Veterinary Medicine at the University of Nottingham I have worked in farm practice in both the UK and Australia. I am now a Veterinary Advisor for a pharmaceutical company, providing training and support in preventative ruminant health across the south of England.
- I have spent my entire life living and working within the livestock sector, primarily with dairy cattle. I have worked on the Family dairy farm but now are a full time Veterinary Surgeon working with farms
- Growing up surrounded by agriculture I have always been immersed in livestock businesses. Having graduated from the University of Bristol with a degree in Veterinary
- I grew up in Somerset on a small holding but always wanted to farm. After studying Agriculture at Seale Hayne, I started my farming journey by buying 70 draft Romney ewes with a friend. I am now a dairy farmer based just north of Basingstoke in Hampshire.
- My background is in Microbiology with a focus on public health and food safety. I now work on the interface of science and agriculture and my ambition is to develop sustainable, safe solutions for the food chain.
- I grew up on our mixed family farm in Worcestershire and after leaving University worked as an Ecologist for several environmental charities.
- Having grown up on the family farm in Northamptonshire I graduated from the University of Leeds with a degree in Politics. After 6 months travelling I went to Sandhurst and served a short service commission with the Grenadier Guards.
- After growing up in rural Staffordshire I studied ecology in Sheffield, cumulating in a PhD specialising in green roof technology. I have worked within the amenity sector for the
- Having left Australia with a back pack and round-the-world ticket in 2006, I didn’t expect to find myself 15yrs later totally engrossed in livestock farming in the North Highlands.