New Nuffield Farming Report published - Duncan Williams: ‘Dairy Antibiotics: achieving sustainable use’
Devon-based vet and Kite Consulting Dairy Consultant Duncan Williams NSch 2019 has published his Nuffield Farming Report titled ‘Dairy Antibiotics: Achieving sustainable use’. His study was sponsored jointly by The Richard Lawes Foundation and The Dartington Cattle Breeders Trust.
In his executive summary, Duncan states, “Antimicrobial resistance is a growing and urgent threat across the entire world. The UK was centre stage in antibiotic history; from their discovery and increased use through to the early warnings regarding misuse, and subsequent regulation. We must act now to ensure that we are part of the solution and minimise any future harm.”
- Understand the key drivers of farm antibiotic use
- Understand the role of each area of the dairy industry in reducing use
The Netherlands, Ireland, Italy, Switzerland, United States of America, India
- By focusing on the quality of stock, the environment and nutrition, farmers can reduce their antibiotic use.
- We need increased transparency throughout the industry, and have policies designed together with farmers.
- Some antibiotic use is a response to economic circumstances, and tightening margins sometimes lead to increased antibiotic use.
- The level of antibiotic use in agriculture is ultimately a political decision; the responsibility lies across the whole production and governance chain.
- 2021 Nuffield Farming Scholars Announced
- New Nuffield Farming Report published - Duncan Williams: ‘Dairy Antibiotics: achieving sustainable use’
- Nuffield Farming Lecture Online Update – ‘Bricks to Clicks’ in the wake of Covid-19
- Nuffield Farming Lecture Online Update Scheduled for 14th July 2020
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – James Smaldon: ‘Managing poultry welfare in a transitioning world of technology’
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – Sarah Pick: ‘Heifer replacement strategies: Cost reduction in the UK suckler beef herd’
- New Nuffield Farming Report Published - Angus Selby - ‘Can Institutional Investment Capital provide opportunities for Family Farmers and Young Farmers into UK Agriculture?’
- Nuffield Farming is accepting applications for 2021 Scholarships
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – Richard Harrison: ‘Where next for soft fruit in the UK?
- NUFFIELD FARMING CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENT