Nuffield features on The Archers
The Nuffield Farming Scholarships Trust is featuring in the fictional BBC Radio 4 series, The Archers, following Tom Archer’s interest in the Nuffield and the Scholarship opportunity.
A visit to an open day at a farm producing ready meals sparked Tom’s interest in applying. It’s not long until the deadline date for 2017 applications, so if he does decide to apply, he will need to send his application in before 31 July.
Tom’s past farm business experience, his time managing a pig-unit in Canada and his childhood at Bridge Farm have driven an interest in diversification into producing organic baby food.
If Tom decides to apply and is successful, he will be assigned a sponsor and granted up to £12,000 to fund his study and travels.
His 18 months of study would commence in February 2017, and he would have the opportunity to travel the world, visiting like-minded individuals and businesses, just like 2009 Nuffield Scholar, Oliver Surman, who embarked on travels to countries including Japan and New Zealand.
Oliver completed a similar project to that of Tom Archer, focusing on diversification and adding value to farm produce.
Oliver believes that his Nuffield experience played a vital part in the success of his family business. “I’d really encourage anyone in agriculture or working in a related industry, to speak to a Scholar or the Nuffield team and find out how it can benefit them.”
Mike Vacher, Nuffield director, summaries the unique opportunities provided by a Nuffield Scholarship.
He says, a Nuffield Scholarship provides an opportunity to:
- Unlock individual potential and broaden horizons through study and overseas travel
- Stand back from the day-to-day routine and study a subject of personal interest
- Have access to the world’s leaders in food and farming
- Deliver benefits to agricultural and related industries through knowledge transfer
Mike reminds prospective Scholars that the deadline for applications is fast approaching (July 31 2016). The Scholarship is open to applicants aged between 22 and 45 years old who have been involved with farming, rural, food or agricultural associated industries for at least two years. For more application details visit the Nuffield Farming website at http://www.nuffieldscholar.org/
To catch up with any missed episodes of The Archers, visit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qpgr/episodes/player
- 2021 Nuffield Farming Scholars Announced
- New Nuffield Farming Report published - Duncan Williams: ‘Dairy Antibiotics: achieving sustainable use’
- Nuffield Farming Lecture Online Update – ‘Bricks to Clicks’ in the wake of Covid-19
- Nuffield Farming Lecture Online Update Scheduled for 14th July 2020
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – James Smaldon: ‘Managing poultry welfare in a transitioning world of technology’
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – Sarah Pick: ‘Heifer replacement strategies: Cost reduction in the UK suckler beef herd’
- New Nuffield Farming Report Published - Angus Selby - ‘Can Institutional Investment Capital provide opportunities for Family Farmers and Young Farmers into UK Agriculture?’
- Nuffield Farming is accepting applications for 2021 Scholarships
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – Richard Harrison: ‘Where next for soft fruit in the UK?
- NUFFIELD FARMING CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENT