New Nuffield Farming Report published – Sarah Pick: ‘Heifer replacement strategies: Cost reduction in the UK suckler beef herd’
North Yorkshire Simmental breeder and AHDB Beef and Lamb Knowledge Exchange Manager Sarah Pick NSch 2019 has published her Nuffield Farming Report titled ‘Heifer replacement strategies: Cost reduction in the UK suckler beef herd’. Her study was sponsored jointly by the Yorkshire Agricultural Society and The Worshipful Company of Butchers.
- Create a blueprint for managing beef heifers to calve successfully at two years of age
- Understand the selection criteria required to develop a functional suckler cow
- Explore the changes the UK suckler industry must make to ensure it has a sustainable future
Canada, USA, Australia, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland
- If it is to survive, the UK suckler beef industry must find ways of reducing cost.
- Ensuring all heifers calve at 2 years is one of the key areas where cost can be reduced.
- Most beef producing countries have been calving heifers at two years of age since the 1970s.
- The success of calving heifers at two years of age is driven by nutrition, genetics and effective selection.
- The industry must refocus attention from terminal traits to improving maternal attributes if it is to improve the reproductive efficiency of the UK suckler herd.
- New Nuffield Farming Report published - Duncan Williams: ‘Dairy Antibiotics: achieving sustainable use’
- Nuffield Farming Lecture Online Update – ‘Bricks to Clicks’ in the wake of Covid-19
- Nuffield Farming Lecture Online Update Scheduled for 14th July 2020
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – James Smaldon: ‘Managing poultry welfare in a transitioning world of technology’
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – Sarah Pick: ‘Heifer replacement strategies: Cost reduction in the UK suckler beef herd’
- New Nuffield Farming Report Published - Angus Selby - ‘Can Institutional Investment Capital provide opportunities for Family Farmers and Young Farmers into UK Agriculture?’
- Nuffield Farming is accepting applications for 2021 Scholarships
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – Richard Harrison: ‘Where next for soft fruit in the UK?
- NUFFIELD FARMING CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENT
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – Alex Brewster: ‘Powering pasture and the relevance of red meat in the 21st century’