New Nuffield Farming Report published – James Smaldon: ‘Managing poultry welfare in a transitioning world of technology’
Devon poultry farmer James Smaldon NSch 2019 has published his Nuffield Farming Report titled ‘Managing poultry welfare in a transitioning world of technology’, sponsored jointly by Three Counties Agricultural Society and McDonald’s UK & Ireland.
- To identify technology likely to be commercially available for the UK poultry industry in the next decade.
- To understand various concepts of bird welfare.
- To establish the implications that technology may hold for the welfare of poultry.
Canada, USA, Italy, UK, France, Netherlands, Belgium
- Continuous welfare assessment is coming; this can provide farmers with the ability to react to welfare challenges before they become issues, whilst also benefiting consumers with assured verification.
- Human interaction will continue to be vital within poultry farming. Technology should be embraced which complements, not substitutes, stockmanship.
- Bird welfare is at risk of falter if technology is not introduced carefully. People tend to trust technology too quickly and lose focus before they should.
- Over time, the role of stockmanship is likely to move away from manual and towards supervisory, with more time available to care for birds.
- New Nuffield Farming Report published - Duncan Williams: ‘Dairy Antibiotics: achieving sustainable use’
- Nuffield Farming Lecture Online Update – ‘Bricks to Clicks’ in the wake of Covid-19
- Nuffield Farming Lecture Online Update Scheduled for 14th July 2020
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – James Smaldon: ‘Managing poultry welfare in a transitioning world of technology’
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – Sarah Pick: ‘Heifer replacement strategies: Cost reduction in the UK suckler beef herd’
- New Nuffield Farming Report Published - Angus Selby - ‘Can Institutional Investment Capital provide opportunities for Family Farmers and Young Farmers into UK Agriculture?’
- Nuffield Farming is accepting applications for 2021 Scholarships
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – Richard Harrison: ‘Where next for soft fruit in the UK?
- NUFFIELD FARMING CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENT
- New Nuffield Farming Report published – Alex Brewster: ‘Powering pasture and the relevance of red meat in the 21st century’