The Nuffield Farming Scholarships Trust is funded entirely by farming/rural based organisations and companies, the food industry, charities and past Scholars themselves. This money provides income to sponsor General and Regional Awards, plus a series of Food Chain and Specialist Awards - for example, in poultry, fruit, milk and red meat.
General awards are offered by the Trust itself and a number of organisations and individuals including Alan & Anne Beckett, Jill Willows NSch, John Oldacre Foundation.
Awards to candidates from all parts of the dairy industry are provided by the Trehane Trust and the Dartington Cattle Breeding Trust. Applicants are invited to study topics of interest to dairy producers, processors and retailers.
Societies and trading organisations sponsor a number of 'Regional Awards' each year to candidates resident in the areas covered by their membership or trading areas. These include the Royal Highland Society (in assoication with Nuffield), Royal Norfolk Agricultural Association, Royal Welsh Agricultural Socieity, Lincolnshire Agricultural Society, South of England Agricultural Society, Three Counties Agricultural Socieity, Yorkshire Agricultural Society, Central Region Farmers Trust, John Longwill Trust (Leicestershire), MacRobert Trust (Scotland), and Mole Valley Farmers.
Applicants from Northern Ireland are also eligible for the Northern Ireland (Jimmy Young) Award and awards sponsored by the Thomas Henry Foundation.
Special Interest Awards are currently offered by the following organisations:
- BEMB (R&E) Trust - shell egg production
- BEMB (R&E) Trust - egg industry
- BPEX pig award
- Bristol Corn & Feed Trade association - animal nutrition and feed supply
- Company of the Staple of England - sheep industry
- Crown Estate - tenants of the Crown Estate
- Hereford Cattle Society - beef industry
- HGCA arable award
- Horticultural Development Company - horticulture industry
- Newcastle University MacCooper Trust - former students of the University
- NFU Sugar Board - production and utilisation of sugar beet
- Potato Council - potato production, particularly seed potatoes
- Studley College Trust - horticulture industry
- The Worshipful Company of Fruiterers - British fruit industry, from genetics, through production, processing and retailing, to the consumers' plate
The Young Nuffield (Bob Matson) Award is available for young entrepreneurs aged 22-28.
This special award is open to UK residents (no age limit) working in the fields of food, farming or forestry. It was established specifically to support studies that address key topics of importance to the UK agricultural industry.