Are you interested in future of the NUFFIELD FARMING SCHOLARSHIP TRUST?
Would you like to be involved and offer your services as a Trustee of the Board?
The Board membership consists of 10 Trust members (including the Chairman and Vice Chairman) and two external members. Each year there are three vacancies on the Nuffield Board as Trustees retire by rotation on completing three year terms of office.
The Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Trust permit Trustees to serve two three year terms. One vacancy is for a Board member elected by the Annual Meeting of the Trust, a second is to represent the Study, Country and Regional Groups and the third is a representative of the Returning Scholars.
The Board's key responsibilities include:
- Setting the strategic goals for the organisation in the light of its charitable objectives, values and in line with its governing document
- Setting or approving policies, plans and budgets to achieve the Trust's objectives and monitoring performance against them
- Dealing with the appointment and remuneration of the Chief Executive
- Approving the risk management covering all the Society's activities
- Ensuring the Society complies with its statutory obligations covering Companies House and Charity Commission requirements
- Agreeing the terms of reference of all sub-committees and subsidiaries. The Board would also create and agree the terms of reference of any working group required
Any Scholars that are subscribing members of the Trust are eligible for election to the Board. All sponsors and subscribers to the Trust are also recognised as members and may participate in the management of the Trust through the Annual Meeting.
The Nuffield Farming Scholarships Trust is a Registered Charity (No. 1098519) which is incorporated as a private company limited by guarantee (No. 4787639). Those elected as Trustees must be eligible to serve as Company Directors and sign a Declaration of Willingness to serve as Charity Trustees.
The Board meets three times a year. Board Members should attend the Annual Conference and at least one regional/special interest conference each year.
For clarity: Remuneration - None; Out of Pocket Expenses - None; Travel Expenses - None*. (*Where an overnight stay is required the Trust will pay for accommodation and food).
Members of the Board are invited to join one of two sub committees; the Finance Committee and Communications Committee. The Finance Committee meets four times each year by telephone conference call to receive financial reports at the end of each quarter. The Communications Committee generally meets three times immediately before the main Board meetings.
The Nominations Committee invites Scholars to put themselves forward as candidates for election by the Annual Meeting of the Trust and the Annual Meeting of representatives of the Nuffield Groups.
To assist the Nominations Committee candidates are asked to develop a proposal on no more than one side of A4 paper, listing skills that would contribute in managing the Trust. The Nominations Committee will then shortlist candidates.